Staff and Students at Gess Elementary are
Respectful, Responsible, and Safe!
Gess Mission Statement
Together, the Gess Community fosters a joyful growth experience for all
by modeling high expectations in a purposeful, secure environment.
Each Monday is a 1 hour Late Start.
Julie Price, Principal
Dear Gess Families,
I look forward to hearing about your summer adventures and all the reading you did along the way. Gess Elementary has a dedicated and passionate staff, supportive parents and creative, energetic students. Together, we are going to do great things! Below is some important information that will help you prepare for the 2017- 18 school year.
· Every year parents must complete an online Re-registration process to update your student information. We continue to refine our Skyward online registration and ask that you please complete as soon as possible. Parents received information on how to access their skyward accounts. If you need assistance, please contact the Gess Office at 509-685-6800 extension 4002.
· The Gess Elementary Office opens Tuesday, August 22, 2017 from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
· Welcome Back Barbecue: I hope you will join us for the special opportunity to meet your child's teacher, visit the classroom and enjoy a picnic dinner. This fun event will occur on August 28, 2018. Dinner will be from 5:00 to 6:00 p.m., and teachers will be in their classrooms to greet students and their families from 5:30 to 7:00 p.m..
· The first day of school is Wednesday, August 30, 2017. The first bell rings at 8:25 a.m. and class begins at 8:30 a.m., with students released at 2:45 p.m. The building opens for students at 8:00 a.m. Students should not arrive before 8:00 a.m. Your child’s safety is very important to everyone at Gess Elementary and supervision is not available until this time.
· Parent involvement is very important at every age level. I strongly encourage all our families to join our Parent Teacher School Association (PTSA). The first meeting is September 14, 2017 at 6:30 p.m. in the Gess Library. Please consider helping with a committee or PTSA initiative.
· Gess does have a dress code. It is detailed in the Student Handbook, and you can learn about the dress code on the Chewelah School District Website
Mr. Proszeck and our custodial staff have worked diligently to clean the building from top to bottom. Their work is greatly appreciated, and helps us create a safe and caring learning environment.
As always, we work hard to enhance learning here at Gess Elementary. Our staff have created opportunity to continually learn throughout the summer. Some of our staff attended training in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) and other staff members attended Interim Assessment training. These foundational efforts on the part of staff will create a year of engaging, meaningful and rigorous work in our classrooms. In addition, we are so excited to welcome Mrs. Tilla as our new Reading Specialist. At Gess Elementary, we are committed to creating a safe, caring environment where learning is our priority. Staff use data to drive instruction and our school continues to implement an additional daily 30 minute block of time focused on differentiated literacy instruction.
Together we support all students by effectively addressing their learning and behavioral needs. Daily, we make decisions based on what is best for student success. I am excited to lead this challenging and most important work. Attendance is crucial to your child’s success. Thank you for ensuring your child’s attendance daily. Behavior counts at Gess Elementary. Be Safe, Respectful, and Responsible. The Gess Staff and I welcome both our returning students and those students who will be new to Gess Elementary this year!
I hope you have had a fantastic summer and are enjoying the remaining days before school starts. I look forward to seeing you in a few weeks.
Mrs. Price, Principal
Gess Grade Level Vocabulary Lists
Gess has identified Vocabulary Words each grade level is responsible for teaching. This is part of our Problem of Practice.
Click on the link for the words each grade level is responsible for:
Want to keep up withyour child's progress on AR?Here is a Parent Portalstraight to your child's test results, goals,and books read for AR.Just click on the link below and log in withyour child's School AR username and password they use at school!Here are explanations of the Certificate LevelsAR Chart Grade Levels and ColorsAlso, here is a handy website to find out if your book has anAccelerated Reader test, and how many points it is worth!